The Morning Briefing:
• Defensive Line: Jones Relishes Role Of Emotional Leader (ArkansasNews.com)
• Four Downs: Caldwell Expects Two Freshmen Ends To Play; Holt’s Hiring Official; Scouts Flock to Wednesday’s Morning Practice (ArkansasNews.com)
Today’s Camp Schedule:
• Practice from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. in Razorback Stadium
• LB Jarrett Lake — Injuries at linebacker opened the door for some backups to earn significant repetitions in preseason drills. The list of beneficiaries includes Lake, who is working with the first-team defense at strongside linebacker. He also is playing the “star” position while senior Ross Rasner spends more time at safety because of Eric Bennett’s injury. The opportunity isn’t lost on Lake, who is more comfortable this season after trying to bulk up play an inside linebacker spot his first two seasons on campus. Lake, who has gained 15 to 20 pounds, said it’s not an emphasis anymore as he works to settle into a key role as an outside linebacker for Paul Haynes’ defense. “I really like outside linebacker,” Lake said.
Fact of the Day
• Arkansas running back Kody Walker has a nickname. The Razorbacks call him “Ironman.” The reason? Walker had a rod inserted into each leg after suffering stress fractures in both shins last season. Walker’s legs still nag him every once in awhile, but the sophomore said he’s 85 to 90 percent healthy as he prepares to help the Hogs in 2012. Walker — who scored five touchdowns in three games before being sidelined last season — isn’t expected to earn many carries because of the experience ahead of him. But he wants to help as much as possible. “I’m just trying to get on the field and make plays for this team,” Walker said.
Tweet of the Day
“Somebody trade me legs” — Arkansas CB Will Hines (@illwill_9) after the team’s first practice Wednesday. Hines either found someone to trade or recuperated enough to practice in the afternoon, intercepting a Tyler Wilson pass in team drills.
Quote of the Day
“I know people have a lot of questions for this team. So I think what just motivates us the most is being able to prove people wrong. I know the coaches haven’t had to do really any job as far as giving us that energy and being motivated.” — Arkansas C Travis Swanson on what is driving the Razorbacks in preseason camp
For Arkansas camp stories/blogs on the web visit ArkansasNews.com
For Arkansas camp updates on Twitter follow @NWARobbie
For Arkansas camp photos via Instagram follow NWARobbie