FAYETTEVILLE — Alex Collins didn't participate in his signing day ceremony at South Plantation (Fla.) High on Wednesday.
But the running back told a South Florida television station - NBC 6 - he still intends to play at Arkansas next season.
“I’m staying with Arkansas," Collins told the NBC affiliate. "I’m just waiting."
Collins, who had been verbally committed to Miami before re-opening his recruitment late last fall, selected Arkansas during a Fox Sports South television show on Monday night. But he didn't sign Monday and multiple reports indicated Collins, who is rated as the No. 1 back in the country by 247Sports and No. 3 by Scout.com, had little choice.
His mother, Andrea McDonald refused to sign the national-letter-of-intent, according to ESPN’s Recruiting Nation. Prospects who are not 21 years old are required to have a parent or legal guardian’s signature. Collins’ older brother, Johnny, told the Miami Herald the family hoped he would reconsider his original choice.
“I would prefer him to go to Miami, too, because it would be a better program for him, a better environment," Johnny Collins told the Miami Herald. "He could get home faster and it's more convenient if mom wants to go to a game -- instead of having to fly to Arkansas.”
It's not known if McDonald has agreed to sign her son's letter-of-intent.
However, Collins told NBC 6 he informed Arkansas' coaches of his plans to be a Razorback.
“It’s been stressful but I feel a lot of relief after I made my decision,” Collins told NBC 6. “I feel like everything will get easier now. I just have to sign that paper and everything else with be easy.”
— Robbie Neiswanger • Arkansas News Bureau