LITTLE ROCK — State Insurance Commissioner Allen Kerr offered advice Monday to Arkansas property owners who suffered damages from the weekend’s severe weather and may be targeted by scam artists.
“The severe weather this weekend was tough enough on Arkansans, but the aftermath of a property loss can be just as stressful,” Kerr said in a news release. “I urge all Arkansans to contact (the state Insurance Department) with any questions or concerns about their insurance policies or how they can avoid falling prey to a scamming, storm-chasing contractor wanting to pocket a check rather than help you rebuild.”
Kerr offered the following advice:
• Your first call should be to your insurance agent or company.
• If you need help interpreting your insurance policy, contact the Insurance Department at (800) 852-5494.
• Don’t let a contractor tell you what is in your insurance policy.
• Don’t let a contractor pressure you into hiring them. Ask them if they are insured and/or bonded and verify their insurance certificate.
• Get more than one estimate for repairs.
Kerr also noted that flood insurance typically is not covered in a homeowner’s policy. For information on purchasing flood insurance before the next round of storms, visit www.FloodSmart.gov.