LITTLE ROCK — A Memphis rap artist whose weekend show in Little Rock was interrupted by a mass shooting faces a federal weapons charge in connection with a shooting in Forrest City, the U.S. attorney’s office in Little Rock said Monday.
A criminal complaint has been filed against Ricky Hampton, 25, also known as Finese Twotymes or Finese 2Tymes, accusing him of being a felon in possession of a firearm, according to a news release from Patrick Harris, acting U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Arkansas.
Hampton was arrested Sunday in Alabama on felony warrants issued in connection with the Forrest City shooting. By Monday afternoon, he continued to be held without bond at the Jefferson County Jail in Birmingham.
Harris said Hampton was leaving Club Envy in Forrest City on June 25 when he began screaming at a person in a car he believed was in his way. Hampton allegedly got out of his vehicle, continued screaming at the person in the car and pointed a gun at the person.
As the person was driving away, Hampton allegedly fired a shot that shattered the rear window and wounded the driver in the neck. Authorities have recovered a handgun they believe was used in the shooting, Harris said.
Hampton previously was convicted of felony aggravated robbery in Tennessee and sentenced to eight years in prison. His Little Rock concert was advertised with an photo of him pointing a gun at the camera.
In a statement on Facebook on Saturday, Hampton said, “Prayers go to the innocent people and there (sic) family that came out to support me, last night in Little Rock Ark. The violence is not for the club people. We all come with 1 motive at the end of the day, and thats to have fun. Not to be hurt. So again I send me condolences to the people who were hurt.”
Around 2:30 a.m. Saturday, Hampton was performing at Power Ultra Lounge in downtown Little Rock when more than 30 shots wire fired inside the club, leaving 25 people with gunshot wounds and three with injuries received while trying to exit the club. All are expected to survive, authorities say.
Little Rock Police Chief Kenton Buckner said Saturday that investigators believe several people fired the shots and that the shooting grew out of a dispute between two groups in the audience. He said he did not know whether any performers or people associated with any performers took part in the gunfire.
Buckner also said the shooting may have been related to several recent drive-by shootings in the capital city.
The state Department of Finance and Administration said Saturday its Alcoholic Beverage Control Division ordered the immediate suspension of the club’s license. The agency said the club is suspected of disorderly conduct, allowing weapons on the premises and failing to be a good neighbor.
Lamor Williams, spokesman for the city of Little Rock, said Monday that city officials were conducting a review to determine what violations of state laws and city ordinances the club may have committed, including the ones alleged by ABC.