FORT SMITH - A Sebastian County deputy is dead and the Hackett police chief is recovering from a gunshot wound after a standoff Wednesday morning near Hackett.

Billy Monroe Jones, 35, of Hackett was taken into custody shortly before noonWednesday. 

The Greenwood Police Department's K-9, Kina, was shot as well.

Sebastian County Sheriff's Deputy Bill Cooper and Hackett Police Chief Darrell Spells responded to a call at 4722 South Highway 253 in Sebastian County at about 7 a.m., according to an affidavit in support of the arrest warrant.

When they arrived at the scene, a man identified as Jones appeared to be holding an assault rifle and wearing some kind of ballistic vest. Jones shot at the officers, striking Cooper in the neck and grazing Spells' head.

"This was an extremely violent situation that came out of nowhere," Sebastian County Sheriff Bill Hollenbeck said at a briefing Wednesday afternoon. "This is a perfect example of the ultimate sacrifice that was paid to keep our community safe."

Shortly before 7 a.m. when Jones went to his father's home for some tools, authorities said. Jones reportedly brandished a gun at his father before fleeing from the scene. A family member called the Sebastian County Sheriff's Office, and at 7:08 a.m., deputies of the Sheriff's Office and officers with the Greenwood and Hackett police departments arrived at the scene, according to the Sheriff's Office.

Law enforcement officers attempted to negotiate with Jones who surrendered at11:46 a.m., according to the authorities.

Sebastian County authorities interviewed Jones, then he was transported to the Crawford County Detention Center. He had not been booked into the jail at 7 p.m. 

He was arrested on suspicion of aggravated battery, two counts, and possession of a firearm by certain people. His actual charges likely will be different.

After he was transported to Sparks Regional Medical Center, Cooper underwent surgery and succumbed to his injuries at about 1:15 p.m.

On the Hackett Police Department's Facebook page, Spells said, "I have never been prouder to be associated with the SCSO, Greenwood PD, Sebastian County EMS, and the other surrounding agencies. Their courage today was exemplary."

Hollenbeck described Spells as "a brave and outstanding officer who ... left his community to come out into the county to assist our deputies and that's called courage, and I am certainly forever grateful for that."

"It took law enforcement agencies, who were there at the time and who braved the fire of Jones, to make courageous acts of what I consider valor, putting themselves in the line of fire in order to get Chief Spells and Deputy Cooper extracted from the scene, out of the line of fire and on to ambulances," Hollenbeck said.

Authorities believe Jones also shot the Greenwood K9, Kina, a German shepherd. Officers at the scene said she received a gunshot wound that likely was fatal and ran away. She had not been located by 5 p.m. Wednesday.

"We are also forever grateful to the Greenwood Police Department for deploying (Kina) as well," Hollenbeck said. "The dog was shot and during the fog of the gunfight, the officer/handler was diving for cover and Kina was doing the same, and we are unsure whether she crawled away. It was in a wooded area so we are still actively searching for the K9."

Jones also shot and disabled a law enforcement robot that was being used to gather intelligence at the scene. It was reported that the robot was being used to seek explosives.

Two pounds of Tannerite was found in the residence, said Sgt. Daniel Grubbs with the Fort Smith Police Department. Tannerite is an explosive, often used in explosive targets for firearms practice.

S.W.A.T. teams from the Sebastian County Sheriff's Office, Fort Smith and Van Buren police departments and Arkansas State Police were dispatched to the scene and law enforcement from several surrounding agencies continued to flood the scene. It is estimated that 300 authorities were at the scene.

"During the time we were there, we also had several civilians (neighbors and family members) who were caught in the line of fire. The S.W.A.T. were able to rescue several who were trapped in the line of fire," Hollenbeck explained.

"Arkansas State Police Criminal Investigation Division has taken over the crime scene for processing to relieve us and deal with the grief of loosing one of our own, one of our deputies," Hollenbeck said. 

Jones has two prior felony convictions in Sebastian County. He was scheduled to go to trial Aug. 18 in connection with a Feb. 16 arrest for possession of Oxycodone, being a felon in possession of a firearm and carrying a weapon. He was free on a $5,000 bond. He was due in Sebastian County Circuit Court on Wednesday on a petition to revoke a suspended sentence.